We are a Happy Family

We are a Happy Family

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

One More Year Until 30… eek!

I celebrated my 29th birthday on November 15th.  It's weird to think I am that old.  Especially since every year as a kid when I'd ask my Mom how old she was, she'd say, "I'm 29 this year."  Hmmm…. won't that be interesting when next year I'm older than my Mom? :)


It was a good birthday.  Curtis made me breakfast and then Curtis had a treasure hunt for my presents with little poems he'd created.  I was thrilled to get a fondue maker (we've already used it several times and LOVE it), a new running band for my arm that holds my phone so I can have Map My Run and Pandora going at the same time, new clothes and boots.  
The majority of November besides the first 5 days I've been sick with flu, cold and then it turned into bronchitis and "unresolved bronchitis" (aka my doctor doesn't know what's wrong after a chest x-ray came back negative for pneumonia but my lungs and ribs still hurt and I still feel terrible.)  So needless to say I still didn't feel super great on my birthday so I spent a majority of the day in bed resting when Kaden napped and then Curtis had to change our birthday night plans since I didn't feel well enough to do his original plan of dinner and star-gazing (outside in the cold- not good for a sick person.)

In the afternoon when Curtis was done with school we took Kaden to the Museum of Play for a few hours.  We love that place! It's the best kid's museum and fun winter outing ever. That night we dropped Kaden off at the MacLeans for babysitting and Curtis and I went to Red Lobster for dinner and to see Monsters University, since we'd still never seen it.  It was a cute movie and I thoroughly enjoyed a night out with just Curtis and I, even if I didn't feel all that great.  Date nights are a special treat lately since we don't have a lot of money to go out and pay a sitter, so we do a lot of "babysitting trades" with friends so we can go out for free, which means we still don't go out a whole lot, so a date night was a great present too.


The next day I went to lunch with Miranda, Janelle and Melanie.  We have kind of formed a "birthday club" of sorts since last year the four of us went out for everyone's birthdays together too.  Melanie's birthday is on the 13th and mine on the 15th so we just pick a day that is neither of our birthdays to celebrate.  We picked Saturday the 16th so that the husbands could watch the kiddos and we could all have a toddler-free lunch.  So relaxing!  We went to La Tea Da, the CUTEST little cafe/bakery place ever.  They had the yummiest Rooibois tea (like herbal tea but the South African version) and we got to have cute little tea cups and a tea pot and of course hats to dress up in to make it all the more authentic experience.  They had yummy soups and sandwiches too and sadly we were all way too stuffed for the delicious cupcakes but that is okay.  We had a lot of fun.  I'm really grateful to have these girls as friends here in Rochester.  It's especially fun to have Janelle in the same place since we were friends in high school too.  (Just for the record, I am the only one of these four girls who is not pregnant, nor the wife of a medical student. Ha ha.)
Janelle and Melanie
 Me and Miranda

I think the best part of my birthday was all the phone calls and cards and emails from family and friends with sweet messages. That honestly means more to me than anything else I could ever get. It's nice to know people remember and care and it's nice to feel loved.  Plus I love when someone writes you a nice letter or note because I always save them in my journal so on bad days or when I need a little "pick me up" I can go back and re-read them. So far 29 has been wonderful and I plan to thoroughly enjoy my last year of my twenties. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment