We are a Happy Family

We are a Happy Family

Thursday, February 20, 2014

My Photography Hobby

Some of you may know (and some of you may not know) that I've taken up doing quite a bit of photography lately. I am certainly no pro, but I've learned a lot and it's been fun.  I've taken several online classes and watched a lot of YouTube videos (it's amazing the secrets people give away on there) and read a lot of books. I'm basically self taught and in trying to learn more and figure out how to take better pictures I've practiced on a lot of people. I wanted to share a few pictures that I've taken.

One of my assignments for one of my online classes was a self-portrait. So I took this outside next to our house while Kaden was napping. Don't be fooled by my attire. There happened to be no snow the day I took this but the temp was around 5 degrees. Yikes! So cold! But I didn't feel like wearing a coat for my pictures. I had my camera on my tripod, my remote timer and my coat sitting to the side. I'd take a pic with the remote, go look at it, put my coat on, warm up, take another picture, etc… I'm sure my neighbors thought I was a nut job. Ha ha.

Curtis is a much better model than Kaden. He holds still. Ha! And he's a handsome fella! :) This was in the woods behind our house.  Amazing the places you can find to take pictures when you look around a tiny bit.

This is Bri Torres, my friend Angie's little girl. She is easily one of the most gorgeous babies I've ever seen. So I feel like anything I take of her will look good. She's just stinkin' cute.


I've been trying my hand at newborn pictures in the last few weeks since every girl in my ward seems to be having a baby, I figured here's my chance to get some practice and offer new moms some free pictures. My rationale is that if they don't work out, they can't be too mad since they were free. I tell them in advance not to expect professional photos and then hopefully they won't be disappointed if they're a bit amateur but still decent.

This is baby EmmaLynn.  She was born at 12:19 (which is why the clock is in the picture. Her Dad set it, so if it says 12:20 it's not my fault, ha ha!)




Here are some newborns I did of baby Julian (it's a boy).  Loved this sweet shot of him and his mom, Elise.

 Shooting pictures of him made me realize I need some bigger baskets. He's a big boy! Kaden was only 5 lbs. 14 oz. and EmmaLynn was around 6 lbs. when I took her pictures so my baskets are biased towards small babies.  Julian was closer to 9 lbs when I shot his pictures so the basket is a bit cozy for him.

2 comments:

  1. I am amazed at your photo skills! It makes me a little depressed my newborns of Jace were such a disaster. Hopefully you aren't so far away next time I have a baby, cause I would love to have you take some:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicki you're so nice. I would LOVE to take pictures for you guys anytime, regardless of whether they are newborn shots or not.

    ReplyDelete