We are a Happy Family

We are a Happy Family

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

NYC Part 2

May 9
It was supposed to rain all day and somehow we lucked out. It still wasn't sunny, but it was at least not wet and slightly less cold than the previous day.  We rented bikes and rode around Central Park all morning.  I love Central Park! It's such an oasis in the middle of the cement jungle. I absolutely loved how beautiful it was, especially on bikes when you ride more to the top of the park, there's not so many tourists.









 Jackie Onassis Reservoir



At the Shakespeare Gardens
Curtis and I loved this fence! We decided to take a picture of it so we could remember it for some day when we have a house/yard/garden and we could put a fence like this around our garden.
After Central Park we had lots of fun exploring the surrounding area. We of course had to get a hot dog (or "haw-guh" as Kaden calls them) from a street vendor, along with a fresh juice smoothie. So overpriced, but so good! We walked by the LDS temple on accident.  I knew it was in Manhattan, but didn't think to look up where it was.  It just happened to be on our way to Levain's Bakery. 


Levain's Bakery… where do I begin? DELICIOUS!!!! We had lots of locals tell us to go there and I'm so glad we did. The line was long- out the door and down to the next shop, but it was worth the wait to go into this tiny little basement bakery for a giant cookie. It was like eating four cookies in one. I think everyone knows how much I love cookies, so this was a good stop for me for sure.
We went back to our hotel to change and get ready, then it was off to Ellen's Stardust Diner for some awesome grub, but an even more awesome show put on by the waiters and waitresses.  Curtis went there in high school and said it was super fun and it didn't disappoint.  Everyone that works there is trying to get on Broadway, so they wait tables and perform while they wait to get picked for a show.  It's really the most fun diner I've ever been to, as I've never had my waiter stand on the table next to me and sing while I'm eating before. 

For Christmas we asked the Fairbourns for tickets to go see the Lion King. Curtis and I have both always wanted to see it on Broadway and it was spectacular! It was at the Minskoff Theatre, just off of Times Square. The costumes were amazing and really ingenious, the set was incredible and the cast was so talented! Wow! It was seriously one of my favorite musicals I've ever seen.  I think next to Wicked, it's my second favorite. :)


Ah New York City! How I love thee. Such a fun day with my sweetie. 

May 10
We only had time to go to FAO Schwartz before we left that afternoon, but it was sure fun. We wanted to get Kaden a present, but instead we found the coolest birthday gift for him.  They had these toddler-sized workbenches that were normally $180 and they were on super-clearance for $30!!! What? Amazing. We got him a little dinosaur puzzle (that he loves, where you put the halves together), but we couldn't resist that work bench either, so we got both and we're going to save the work bench until his birthday. I'm so excited! 

Curtis also did a rather stunning rendition of chopsticks with his feet on the Big Piano, complete with a handstand towards the end. He was the only person that I saw getting applause after he got off. It was great! I wish I had thought to video it, but I only got still pics. He didn't forewarn me that he was going to be playing an actual song, as most people don't. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment