We are a Happy Family

We are a Happy Family

Friday, May 16, 2014

Our 5th Anniversary & NYC Trip Part 1

We celebrated our 5th Anniversary on May 7, 2014.  I can't believe it's already been five years! It's gone by so fast. Curtis is such a great husband and dad and I'm so blessed to have him in my life. 
We didn't really do a whole lot to celebrate the actual day of our anniversary, other than exchanging letters and having a nice breakfast together, since Curtis had to hurry and catch up on school work before our trip, he just worked most of the day on school stuff and Kaden and I hung out and had playdates as usual.

That night we got on a bus to NYC for a little getaway trip, just the two of us. NYC is about 6 hours south of Rochester.  We've been meaning to go since we got here...  The first year we didn't dare go with a super fussy newborn and we couldn't go in the spring last year since Curtis was studying 12+ hours a day for the CFA level 2.  This past fall we were out of money for a trip, which brings us to now. Even though he's studying for level 3 this year, we decided it's now or never. I found tickets on Megabus.com for both of us roundtrip for $33!!! I love a good deal. 

We got there May 8th around 6:30 am, and headed out to see the city.  Our hotel was nice enough to let us check our bags in before check-in time and even eat a free breakfast on them. (You won't hear me complaining.)  We wandered around Grand Central Station for awhile.  It's just so big and iconic, especially since so many movies have been made there, it's such a beautiful place.  


We headed over to see the Brooklyn Bridge.  We just watched the Amazing Spiderman 2 about a week ago, so it was fun to see where they filmed it.  I was a little disappointed that it was so rainy and overcast, because it made it hard to see the views, but even then it was still so cool!  


I loved the "padlocks of love" that we saw where couples engrave their initials on the padlock and then lock it to the bridge and throw away the key, to symbolize that their love will last forever. (Or until the city sends someone to cut the padlock off. Ha ha.)  Had we known about it in advance, we would have brought one with us.

We took a subway to ChinaTown, since neither of us had ever been there.  It was freezing cold and rainy, so I bought a yellow scarf in ChinaTown to keep warm.  
(Please ignore my crazy hair. It was straight when the day began and then got crazier and crazier as the day went on from all the rain and humidity…)
For lunch we had the most AMAZING soup-filled dumplings at Joe's Shanghai. To die for!  We also got Sesame Chicken and Rice and ate until it hurt. So worth it!

We explored Little Italy for a bit.  I loved these buildings there so much! How cute are they?

That afternoon we headed to the New York Public Library. It's such a lovely building! More like a castle than a library if you ask me.
They had a really cool exhibit about Why Children's Literature is Important.  Naturally, the teacher in me needed to see it.  We both loved it.  It was really interesting. I took a picture by the Goodnight Moon exhibit since it's one of Kaden's favorite books, and Curtis is a Wild Thing, so that one needs no explanation of course.


That night we went to Rizzo's Fine Pizza in SoHo.  Their salads came with homemade croutons- who knew something so simple could be so awesome?  Best pizza EVER! Seriously.  Don't even get me started on the dessert Nutella pizza… so yummy! I was on foodie overload from today, and loving every second of the Yelp research I had done on yummy places to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment