Monday September 8, 2014
Curtis and Scott had to go to a work training today. (Hence the whole reason we were in Chicago in the first place- a business trip, mixed with a little fun.) We had breakfast together at Lou Mitchell's (since Scott and Megan weren't with us on Sunday and wanted to try it). Can I just say the difference between Sunday and Monday breakfast was staggering? We got right in on Monday, no line, no wait, there was hardly anyone there. It was quiet and calm. Completely opposite of our experience the day before. I guess the work week will do that to you. No one has time to eat out since they're all rushing to get to work. I just have to laugh that I only ordered a single blueberry pancake and small glass of juice and it was $18 before tip, for just my breakfast! (Curtis' was paid for by Zions.) See what I mean that it's a bit of a tourist trap? Ha ha.
While the menfolk headed off to work, we kind of just hung out for the majority of the morning. Poor Ella hadn't been sleeping much the last few days in just a baby carrier or stroller and she was super sleep deprived so Megan put her down for a regular nap at the hotel and I just hung out in my room and read and relaxed. It was nice. I love to read and rarely get a lot of time to, so that was a true vacation to me- sleeping in, not having to clean anything and just getting some quiet "me" time. So lovely.
Megan, Ella and I headed off for a girls' day of shopping that afternoon! We hit the "Miracle Mile" which consists of Michigan Avenue and a few other intersecting streets where all the best shops are. We spent a lot of time in Nordstrom Rack and H&M and Megan's favorite, TJ Maxx. I love H&M. It is my favorite. Before it arrived in Utah I used to plan an H&M trip into all of my out of state trips, because I love it that much.
That night we met up with Curtis and Scott and did the Chicago Architecture tour. So many people recommended it and I honestly think it was one of my favorite things that we did. It was so enjoyable and interesting. Chicago is such a lovely city with a lot of history. The city became a big architectural hub after the great Chicago fire burned more than 1/3 of the original city. It's set right on the shores of Lake Michigan and there's a river that runs through the city and divides it into thirds.
Trump Tower
The Corn Cob towers- they were the first round skyscraper apartments in the world. Tenants are not allowed to park their own cars since they back them up right to the edge (see the lower part of the building- scary!)
The view from below of the Willis Tower (formerly the Sears Tower). 103 stories tall- It used to be the tallest building in the world until they built the building in Dubai that is 1000 feet taller than this. Ridiculous to imagine anything could be taller than this.
Willis Tower far away
The Chicago cityscape
I think this was one of my favorite buildings with the clock tower and gothic architecture on the top.
I think Ella enjoyed the tour too! Such a cutie!


















No comments:
Post a Comment