Tuesday September 9, 2014
Curtis and Scott had to work again today, so Megan and I headed over to the Willis Tower by ourselves. I feel bad because we had initially planned to go on a day when Curtis and Scott could go too, but since it rained all day Friday we figured the views wouldn't be too awesome that day.
I get super motion sick from elevators, so the multiple elevators it took to get up to the 103rd floor about killed me, but it was worth it. The view of the city from the top was awesome!
I am also terrified of heights, so it took me quite a bit of gumption to talk myself into going into the Sky Deck, the clear glass box that overlooks the whole city. It was terrifying, but cool at the same time! I was shaking like a leaf when I was done, but I'm glad I did it. Everything at the bottom looks so tiny, like the cars. Eek!
Probably one of the coolest things about our time at the Willis Tower was that I ran into some Hungarian teenagers. I overheard them talking in Hungarian and couldn't believe my ears! I can count on one hand the number of times that I've ever run into a Hungarian outside of Hungary since my mission. I don't know which I was more nervous for- to talk in Hungarian, or go out on the Sky Deck. (Since I don't use Hungarian on a regular basis b/c I have no one to speak to in it, I'm pretty rusty. I can still understand well, but I'm slow to reply because I have to think hard to remember vocabulary words.) Anyway, they were astonished to hear another person speaking Hungarian, especially since I'm not from Hungary. They honestly couldn't wrap their heads around why I knew their language. They were nice and they told me I still spoke well, even though I know I don't speak as well as I used to. It was really nostalgic for me to get to use a language I so love. I wish I would've gotten a picture with them, but didn't want to weird them out. Ha ha!
Poor Ella was so tired that she slept through almost our entire time up there. Not that she'd remember the trip anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter.










This looked like such an enjoyable trip! Love the Lego family, reflection in the sunglasses, the silly "bean" pictures and all the beautiful architecture! We've never been to Chicago, but you make it sound like a very interesting place to visit someday! ;)
ReplyDeleteThanks Janette! Hopefully you can go to Chicago sometime, it's really a cool city.
ReplyDelete