We are a Happy Family

We are a Happy Family

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Star Valley, WY

Over the weekend of April 10-12 we went to Star Valley, WY to visit Curtis' sister Nicki and her family, and attend Emma's baby blessing.   It's a long enough drive that we figured rather than go up and back just for the blessing (since it's about 3.5 hours each way and Kaden hates being in the car) that we'd go up for the whole weekend. 

Curtis took Friday off work and we left early in the morning. Little did we know that Google maps doesn't take into account seasonal closures of roads.  We drove all the way up Weber Canyon, past Huntsville and the main road we needed to take to get there was closed for the season due to snow, with no detour. We had to turn around and drive an hour and a half back to get to I-15. Oh well, we thought, a detour won't kill us, we'll just go through Logan instead. So we get on I-15, drive through Logan, stop for lunch and then head up through Preston, ID to get there. We'd accidentally left our Tom Tom (big GPS) in our Corolla (and we were borrowing my parent's car since ours is in Tyler's shop for some repairs), so we were just using the GPS on our phones. Nothing blows through batteries faster than phone GPS, so in an effort to save both of our phone batteries and not get stranded somewhere with no phones, we looked up how far until our next turn, set the odometer and turned the GPS off for a little bit. Apparently that was a bad idea. We didn't realize we had to turn right a few miles later to stay on the same road and ended up taking an entirely different road that put us on another hour and a half long detour.  Long story short, it was a VERY long day of driving and we were all a bit grumpy. We left at 9:30 am and should've arrived about lunchtime, but instead we arrived at 4:30 pm. Argh. 

The rest of the weekend was much more fun than Friday. Kaden always has a blast playing with his cousins, so no complaints from him. We went to a little fish pond at Brad's dad's house and the kids got to feed the fish.  Kaden was too impatient to hold the pole for long, but he liked the idea of it. He thought the fish was pretty gross though and kept saying how it was "too slimy" and wouldn't touch it at all for a picture. Ha ha. I guess we may never be a family that is very into fishing, since neither Curtis nor I fish either.





 Kaden absolutely loves to "drive" anything he can possibly get his hands on, Allen's ATV being no exception. It made Kaden's day that he got to go on a ride and Allen let him steer.




Lolly (Brad & Nicki's friends' daughter), Jackson, Kaden & Allen (Brad's dad)



On Sunday I couldn't actually hear a word of Emma's blessing since Kaden was so put out that all the boys on our row got to go to the front of the chapel to "help" and he didn't. (Aka, all the people sitting by us just happened to be males and Melchisedek Priesthood holders that stood in the circle to help bless Emma.)  Kaden kept shouting, "but I am a boy Mom. I need to go up there too! I am a boy!" So I'm sure it was a lovely blessing, but I have no idea what Brad may have said in it... oh well.  Let's just hope that Kaden doesn't do that at the twins' blessing or I might be more annoyed. :)


Some photos of the fam- Dana & Marv
 The Carter family


Kaden really hates church clothes, so this was a painful picture to even attempt to get... I consider it successful that at least Kaden is looking at the camera so you can see his face, even if he's not that happy.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you got some pictures of the weekend! It was soooo fun to have you guys come visit. I'm excited that in not too long we'll be heading your way for the blessing of two sweet babes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you got some pictures of the weekend! It was soooo fun to have you guys come visit. I'm excited that in not too long we'll be heading your way for the blessing of two sweet babes!

    ReplyDelete